Overall Comments from John Moses
1) SEDAC is about socioeconomic data services: could actually say that under the title; also when I move the cursor over the DATA there is no drop down that shows the major data categories/groupings or just the complete list (I don’t think there are that many) – e.g., like there is for MAPS and THEMES. Users may not initially realize the map client shows an example of data – would be useful to explain in a few words where it fits within the context of all of SEDAC datasets – this linkage is what appears to be missing. Just a little more explanation would be helpful to distinguish the feature stuff verses the main site tabs –DATA, MAPS, THEMES. May just add ‘FEATURED’ to the entire section of the page under these tabs.
2) The browse and faceted search performs great. My only thought is that it would be better to have the data listed in one column instead of two. Browse could be smaller on this page – then larger once you select your method of access (i.e., Website, download, maps, more…. Also, what is ‘more’ – seems to be abstracts and metadata – maybe just say that. THEMES are great – nothing to add from my experience at the moment.
3) Resource – would be useful to separate the more general EOSDIS resources outside SEDAC from those SEDAC is providing locally. Guides are great – especially the distinction between technical and thematic. Tools seems to be redirecting to other web sites – is there a way to organized tools by dataset? (E.g., code/tools for reading GPWv3 files). Community and About looks good.
4) Map client – needs to point back to the source of the data – e.g. through link that show where the basic data is coming from, or through citation information in legend or label. This would enable readers to get reference documentation as well as getting the source datasets. Also would be useful to be able to print out the map and map metadata.
5) No other general comments except that the BETA site is much easier to find data than the current website
Thanks for the feedback John!
AdminAndrés González (Admin, SEDAC) commented
all these comments have been split up into separate items and are being addressed