I was looking for a Brazilian image, and I found just one: in Buenos Aires....
Buenos Aires is not in Brazil.... Argentina, ok?
the URL for the Earthdata Wiki is incorrect on your "Communities" page... the URL should be
(remove everything past the .gov)
Is the population estimator no longer supported? It's showing only zeros now ...1 vote
Documentation should report the resolution of the MODIS data
Maps should say "summer" more prominently, and not distinguish between -1 to 0 and 0 to 1 without a middle category reflecting the precision of the estimates.
I was also somewhat confused by the term "average daytime maximum (1:30 p.m. overpass)" and its nighttime analog - over what samples are the maxima and averages calculated? It is clearly not the case that 1:30 temperatures are always the daytime maximum.
I would love information on population density etc. from the most recent census. Is there a reason this is only the 2000 data?7 votes
Thanks for the nice home page! I like the whole thing!1 vote
Shows map services available but the documentation omits the workspace needed to get the WMS layers to work.
It took a while and many guesses to figure out that the workspace name for the layers is "wildareas-v2"
so each of these layers needs to be prefaced with this workspace name, e.g.:
Dear Sirs, recently I published an essay over Architecture evolution in which, in its central part, a chapter is devoted to build mass evo
Dear Sirs, recently I published an essay over Architecture evolution in which, in its central part, a chapter is devoted to build mass evolution. Inside It I intend to explain how will be and how should be the transformation of human space on earth. The essay is available for free download at http://www.matiassambarino.com/publications/archessay.htm
Your work is cited on page 9 and 65. Also in page 65 is edited one of your maps.
Related with the topic, in Appendix 3, lay the foundation ¨Global Urbanism¨
Thank you very much,
Matias Sambarino1 vote
It's hard to figure out what the different colors represent. You should create a key for easier understanding.6 votes
I am looking for this document, but the link is not working:
Robles, M. in collaboration with BID/SDS/POV/MECOVI - INE Honduras (2003)."Estimacion de Indicadores de pobreza y desigualdad a nivel municipal en Honduras", pp. 44. [Document]
I accessed it yesterday and worked fine, tried to download it but it didn't complete the download.
There are other links in the same are of the website that do not function. Any idea about what happened?1 vote
these files were restored, sorry for the delay.
Fertilizers and Manures should be singular (Fertilizer and Manure)1 vote
SEDAC Map Client needs to be listed under left menu "Map Resources"
done and will update production website for next release
currently says: Here's example on how
Must correct to" Here's an example of how
done. Will move this into production on our next release
Why are the China administrative boundaries (county level) vector files not upgraded? The files mostly date from around 1990, which is archaic not only in the case of China.
Please let me know if more recent versions of this data exist.
SEDAC China admin boundary data in 1990 and 1995 are historically unique.
We don’t have resource to acquire or to create the data set for more recent years and to make them freely available.
He/she could purchase data sets for more recent years from UM China data center.
This one is missing: Effects of Climate Change on Global Food Production from SRES Emissions and Socioeconomic Scenarios, v 1 (1970 – 2000)1 vote
For this resource: SEDAC Bibliographic Catalog Search Tool Web site - the link is broken1 vote
On the tools page, there is no indication there is anything below the map, so people may not realize they are there. Add links from the top?1 vote
1) SEDAC is about socioeconomic data services: could actually say that under the title; also when I move the cursor over the DATA there is no drop down that shows the major data categories/groupings or just the complete list (I don’t think there are that many) – e.g., like there is for MAPS and THEMES. Users may not initially realize the map client shows an example of data – would be useful to explain in a few words where it fits within the context of all of SEDAC datasets – this linkage is what appears to be missing. Just a little more explanation would be helpful to distinguish the feature stuff verses the main site tabs –DATA, MAPS, THEMES. May just add ‘FEATURED’ to the entire section of the page under these tabs.
2) The browse and faceted search performs great. My only thought is that it would be better to have the data listed in one column instead of two. Browse could be smaller on this page – then larger once you select your method of access (i.e., Website, download, maps, more…. Also, what is ‘more’ – seems to be abstracts and metadata – maybe just say that. THEMES are great – nothing to add from my experience at the moment.
3) Resource – would be useful to separate the more general EOSDIS resources outside SEDAC from those SEDAC is providing locally. Guides are great – especially the distinction between technical and thematic. Tools seems to be redirecting to other web sites – is there a way to organized tools by dataset? (E.g., code/tools for reading GPWv3 files). Community and About looks good.
4) Map client – needs to point back to the source of the data – e.g. through link that show where the basic data is coming from, or through citation information in legend or label. This would enable readers to get reference documentation as well as getting the source datasets. Also would be useful to be able to print out the map and map metadata.
5) No other general comments except that the BETA site is much easier to find data than the current website
1) SEDAC is about socioeconomic data services: could actually say that under the title; also when I move the cursor over the DATA there is no drop down that shows the major data categories/groupings or just the complete list (I don’t think there are that many) – e.g., like there is for MAPS and THEMES. Users may not initially realize the map client shows an example of data – would be useful to explain in a few words where it fits within the context of all of SEDAC datasets – this linkage is what appears to be missing. Just a…1 vote
The Tools descriptions under the SEDAC Map Client are very long at http://beta.sedac.ciesin.columbia.edu:8080/tools
I suggest you shorten the description word count, so it is easier to read
Also, I am not sure I understand what the flickr community side bar stands for? I think its ultra cool to get the flickr community involved with CIESIN spatial maps. So I guess I am very intrigued to see how the community is using these maps and perhaps sharing their comments.0 votes
tools page has been restructured
Larry Gorenflo - firstname.lastname@example.org - I think the homepage does a good job of conveying what SEDAC is about. You might want to include some brief blurb maybe 2 or 3 sentences describing the overall mission of SEDAC and how it fits into CIESIN, or just what the aim of SECAC is. I don't think this is particularly important for many people using the site, as they likely already know and are just signing on for specific purposes (downloading data, looking at maps, etc.), but in terms of what SEDAC is about you could provide a brief synopsis and then allow visitors to look through the remaining links, etc. As an aside, I like the contents of the homepage. I dialed up data almost immediately, and that generally got me to where I needed to be, and I found that it worked much better than before. Text and graphics balance seemed OK, though in truth I did not focus much on that. I don't have any particular recommendations beyond a couple minor adjustments mentioned above (the map interface, under 3, would be a bit involved, but I don't think it is particularly necessary). I don't mess about with much social media, so I cannot really comment on that. Overall, I like the new look of the website and the general feel of the interface. I'm happy you and your crew have undertaken this and I think in general it works quite a bit better; I always knew you had a bunch of datasets I wanted/needed, so I would do the searches until I found them, but it is much less painful to go through those searches now
Larry Gorenflo - email@example.com - I think the homepage does a good job of conveying what SEDAC is about. You might want to include some brief blurb maybe 2 or 3 sentences describing the overall mission of SEDAC and how it fits into CIESIN, or just what the aim of SECAC is. I don't think this is particularly important for many people using the site, as they likely already know and are just signing on for specific purposes (downloading data, looking at maps, etc.), but in terms of what SEDAC is about you could provide a brief synopsis and then…0 votes
- Don't see your idea?